At this time of year we naturally begin craving soups. For a warm, homemade soup I can’t think of a better topper than Olivia’s Croutons. The added crunch and heartiness can turn a simple soup into a meal.
Last week my associate Heidi brought in a delicious Jarlsburg and Veggie soup that was just perfect with our Parmesan Pepper croutons. I want to share the recipe and hope that you enjoy it as much as we have.
FYI, quantities are approximate. Heidi cooks with her eyes and nose, not so much with the measuring spoons…
- 4 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ chopped carrots
- ½ chopped celery
- 1 small crown broccoli, chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper (although I normally add extra pepper!)
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ground sage and/or dried thyme to taste
- 2 cups heavy cream or ½ and ½
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ – 2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese, slightly dusted with flour so it won’t stick together
- Begin by melting the butter in a medium sized sauce pan. Add vegetables and sauté until just tender. Add flour, stirring constantly over medium heat until well distributed. Gradually add the chicken broth, allowing mixture to thicken.
- In a separate bowl combine the cream and egg. Blend well. Add about ½ cup of the thickening broth to the heavy cream/egg mixture and mix. Add the mix to the soup, stirring constantly. Continue to simmer at lowest heat. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken broth.
- Here’s where the love is added! About 10 minutes before you serve your soup, add the shredded cheese. The idea is to add a little at a time and stir each addition of cheese until it has melted. Ladle into beautiful bowls and top with plenty of croutons!
-Francie (Olivia’s Mom)